6/26/16

6/26/16
Achilles Run, "Stay thirsty my friend."

Friday, October 31, 2008

2 days

a mere 48 hours, and G is on our side!!!


Went to The Park to do a quick run with Tom. Warned him to go ahead of me, that I was doing St.Francis, he wanted to run with me-fool that he is-so I was forced to pick up the pace/shorten the distance, so we went 4+, but at HIS pace. Ouch. Didn't wanna push too hard, really should'a taken the day off, but would'a been bouncing off the walls.

Did the expo, had a BLAST! Went in with Tom and Hank. When Hank said he wanted to go I was annoyed, I didn't know him too well, but of course had an opinion. But, when you throw it out to the club, it isn't just to A listers, but to all. Turns out to have been a great experience. Got to know him better, a good guy. I couldn't have been more off base. HE has a history and a half, knew/ran with not only Lebow, but George Sheehan as well. He has years with Prospect Park. Wow.

Expo was cool, saw the usual suspects there, FMG guy-he actually remembered my name-first time he didn't call me "mohawk." Got our numbers from Carlos from College Point. This experience really brought home the idea that this is OUR marathon.

Went to Paragon. Every year they have a big "free lunch" come on, they bus you to their store, feed you etc.....this was the first year we did it. Well worth it. Pizza, hot dogs, fruit, not bad-free-what the hell-PLUS got to meet and get a signed poster from Deena Kastor. Wow. Told her she really was an inspiration in the movie, that she looked truly in her element during the race-as we all are-but her smile really was something. Really a nice person. Her catchphrase/what she signed the poster with was "dream large," nice compliment to "live strong." What I REALLY liked, got a couple of other autographs too, was the stars took the time to ask "is that Gerry with a G or a J." Runners ARE a breed apart n'est pas.

Then off to dinner. Tom had the bright idea-too late unfortunately-to have the restaurant/caterer he works with, make up some pasta, all we needed was a location to sit n chow down. Helen volunteered, but this must be for the next gathering. Tonight was the Olive Garden, and, lo n' behold, everyone showed up! On time no less!!! Really fun, great bunch of people. Gillian (STILL can't bring myself to record a Sarah Maclachlan cd, just can't do it, pc refuses) offered to drive me to the start sunday, what a group. Made me proud. Never again will I sneer @ the Olive Garden. The food WAS good.

Monday will inevitably come, but the wonder of such events, I'll not be the same, you never are. Really nice benefit of running, with each challenge, you evolve. With each daily run, you're not the same thereafter. Even better (ever think I'd say this???) when it's a shared experience with peeps. Bless them. Thank you guys. Owe you more than you'll ever know. No, not gonna go all Elton John on ya', but you know who you are.

*best Halloween costume: you know those guys with the 5 gal water bottles collecting on the streets for the supposedly homeless, "give a penny..." one of them was smart enough to do a homemade Heath Ledger Joker costume-he was outside Paragon. VERY good costume. Didn't contribute, but very good costume.

.....you don't know but you have come to see the strange man, changed man. Lots of people mess around, me I do this in every town, sometimes I feel like a circus clown, but I'm a strange man, changed man. Deranged man, changed man.

No comments: