6/26/16

6/26/16
Achilles Run, "Stay thirsty my friend."

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

5 days!

wow. Gettin' that butt clenching sense of excitement.

Downside: RAIN!!! No, couldn't bring myself to run in it, took the opportunity to sleep in. It happens.

Toxichouse, s.o.s. turns out we have no heat because Shebitch didn't pay the bill...the company refused our contract...gonna be a COLD winter.

Good news: 5 days!!!!!!!

Things I love about the marathon:

1)Roadway signs announcing "Verrazano br. closed from 6am-3 pm."

2)Billboards all over-esp on MTA busses, promoting the marathon.

3)"What it takes" catchphrase.

4)In mid run, attempting to chat w/runners on the right or left-slowly realizing NEITHER speaks english.

5)The jet engine roar of the crowd as you exit the 59th. st. bridge.

6)Smiles on the faces of the NYPD and FDNY.

7)Low 5-ing the kids.

8)The U.N. atmosphere you feel with each passing block in Brooklyn.

9)Seeing the Striders in LIC, like an oasis in the desert.

10)The sensation of being embraced by the city, and the feeling that as a result of having run it, you OWN the city.

11)The pride that comes with doing what few can.

Heard Teresa on WCBS 880 on the drive home being interviewed.

Funny how everything else pales. Didn't even think back to places now long gone-i.e. Marine Corps. Loved that run, but it got to be too much. One of the miracles of running is how it got me back in touch with myself. To whit, I truly feel, for me, wherever I am @ that moment is "where it's at." That's what life is about really n'est pas? That place where you're at is the best possible place to be. Nice feeling, grounded, centered. My sponsor always used to tell me that, "you are where you should be." Took years to feel it.

No comments: