6/26/16

6/26/16
Achilles Run, "Stay thirsty my friend."

Sunday, March 21, 2010

day 238

YAY!!!!!

Did the NYC Half. Again, amazed on what a show the NYRR put on. Did ok, nothing great, but consistent. Used the Saucony's I got for the midnight run, knees feel ok.

Got to the start area, parked one block away, STILL thinking "whathefuck" re: my low number. Finally knew what to do.

Stayed in the veeeeeeehicle 'til 30mins from start time, 7 am. 2 bananas and a powergel later, went to my corral, asked the workers/volunteers "I look Ethiopian to you?," they got it, said it was ok to start behind your assigned corral, but not forward thereof. Good. Went to the 5,000's. Should'a been even further back, but when I judged by the body type of people there-I judged well.

GREAT race, but, this year 8m was in CP. THAT was a drag, but still, exiting around Carnegie Hall is an uber rush.

Left my windjacket on long enough to pass 5m, then tied it round my waist, got rid of the xeroxed bib I made, ran unencumbered-in a Jets t shirt-got lots of shout-outs from the crowd "J-E-T-S," really helped.

After the 2m mark, Terry, "the voice" called out my name-you ARE never alone with the running community.

Hooked up with 2 babes, they started with "one more mile and we leave the friggin' park," I turned and smiled, they said they were drooling over the thought of their post race smoke. THAT started it. Running conversation throughout. Told them about my smoking.........they said they always hooked up with a race buddy. Of course, I said "oh yeah, and after the run you throw them aside and he never hears from you again...I feel sooooo used." We had alotta fun.

Before we exited the park, passed "tall, older white guy" who does the LI races-in a Warren Street singlet.

Finally, outta the park. Did one power gel after 4m, with the intent of one every 4m. Was on track, felt good. Gatorade @ every water stop.

Entering NYC proper is always a rush, always will be. We exit @ 60 something street, one block or so from Carnegie Hall, and you just GOTTA run in the middle of the street. Wow.

Down 7th ave, memories: running with Pret, running the training runs with Pret, Chris et al....At least I'm here. Times Square with the live karaoke on a huge stage, passing the Hard Rock where Pret and I dined, turning onto 42nd near Port Authority where I got through puberty and left for Prep School (thanks mom, you broke your balls for me, hope you're proud!!!)

Another Power gel before entering the West Side highway-thanks to NYRR. THAT was power gel buffet. Grabbed a few extra-yes, I turn Jewish. End up with more than I started with.

Down the West Side highway, again, memories of the Manhattan Run, Pret waiting for me @ the water stops, Tom running further ahead. Past Chelsea Piers. Passing one area where they held a training run back when we were a team. Really miss those days.

Before we knew it, passed mile 12. Wow, this was it.

NIIIIICE medals. For those of us who remember, looked like a subway token.

Also niiiiice munchie bags: pretzels, a good apple (none of those crappy red delicious), and a bottle of water. Well done.

You can really tell how well/poorly you did from the cases upon cases of munchies bags still waiting for runners. Just the logistics is mind boggling. AND, none of those "these will last forever due to the preservatives" bagels like @ The Big One.

Was nice to have the pre run speeches, Wittenberg gets "it," referring to the NYC Marathon as "The Big One." Still have memories of her last week running, against the crowd, pulling us in/cheering us, during that crapy weather.

Before too long, back on the #6 uptown, back to where I parked. It was funny going down the steps to the train, each of us moaning.

It WAS nice to be in the first starting area, made getting out really easy. DO feel bad when I see the families who turn out for their people, really hurts. Also, knowing the vitriol spewed @ me "you and your running....." Really sucks. Then again, who needed surgery and psychopharmacology and who doesn't? Heee heeeeeee.

Hope the peeps @ the 4 x 2's did well. Wish I could'a been there, but, gotta choose your battles. Just glad to have my knee back.

No comments: