6/26/16

6/26/16
Achilles Run, "Stay thirsty my friend."

Sunday, May 2, 2010

day 280

NOW I'm back.

Was improving earlier in the week, still was chafing @ the bit to hit the pavement, but couldn't. This bug SUCKED!!! Woke up this am, nothing in my legs, but...preregged. Run or die.

Got a good parking spot (for the directionally challenged-across from the finish). For some reason every year I can't find my veeeehicle. This year no problem. Hooked up with Tom n' Terri @ the start, then Rettmer, Eric the Bandit, and Hodas.

Hotttttttttt.

Gun went off, off we went. REALLY glad I signed up for the half. Can't possibly imagine still being on the road now.

Stopped @ every water stop.

Ran first 2 miles w/Elik's wife, told her her husband was nuts (and he calls Me "crazy Jerry"), he was up and on Facebook @ 3am. He's the only of the peeps doing the full. She had a good pace, but too inconsistent, surging and backing off. I continued ahead, praying I wouldn't regret it.

Hooked up w/Rob the rec therapist from South Beach, ran a couple with him. Nice guy, but 8 years younger, I backed off a bit.

Power gel every 5 miles, gatorade when available on course.

They ran outta Gu during the half-typical Long Island.

Hooked up Bruce and Fast Eddie 'round mile 10, ran with them for a mile or so, then continued ahead.

Kept thinking "my first leg @ Ragnar is 8+, gotta do this run well."

Finally, after mile 11, saw Rob again, ran the last mile with him, last 800m with Big Bird, let them go ahead. I was ok with my time.

Last week REALLY fucked me up, in my head I was finished. Needed this one to put me back on the beam, I did well. Better than I should've. Didn't walk, had NO energy in my legs, yet still did respectably (better than last week @ any rate, jeeeeez-a 12 minute pace yeccccccch, fuckin' cripple).

The ONE downer (besides running outta Gu too early), they corralled us @ the end-as in: after grabbing refreshments, we were like cattle, funnelled through narrow gates. @ one point one of the runners started yelling "Attica," I responded: "Next year I'm bringing wire cutters."

Feels good to be back. I CAN'T get our 5m outta my head. What a disaster.

No comments: