6/26/16

6/26/16
Achilles Run, "Stay thirsty my friend."

Sunday, September 7, 2008

missed it by THIS much.....

dayum, soooooo close. But don't let's get ahead of ourselves.

Yesterday, went to The Park to get the numbers for today. In the process, lost my wallet-yes, again. OK, don't panic, maybe it'll turn up. If not, @ this point, I know the drill.

Later yesterday evening, POURING f-ing rain. OK, STILL, don't panic.

This am, breezy, nice temps, dry. OK, so far so good. Off to 7-11 for coffee, my man behind the counter "I have something for you," my wallet!!! He tried calling me, but too many Ruiz's in H'ville. Everything there, wallet, credit cards etc... I asked if it was a regular who found it, he said yes, in the parking lot. WOW. Left $20 with him, he said the guy probably wouldn't accept it, I asked him to tell the guy his next purchases are free if he wouldn't take the cash. OK, my miracle of the day.

Off to The Park, bought bagels for the day, met Laughlin n' co, off we went. Now, backstory: I wasn't on my "usual" team, as Dave Miles is now a Wearer of the Green. OK, I can deal with that-anybody but me deserves to be on a winning team, especially Dave. Cool. We have in addition to them, a women's team, and my team. OK. So we won't win, but we're there as a collective, looked strong.

Problem: this got too popular. Sayville Running Co had a million teams, a.k.a. the bar's been raised. Too many competitive teams. Our "winning team," Rob's/Dave's, came in 4th-awards were 3 deep. The ladies as well, 4th. DAYUM. We did what we set out to do, ran strong and ran well, just lacked the speed of others. The bar HAS been raised.

We had a blast, beautiful day, GREAT club participation. But it DID hurt that we went away empty handed. Such is life. Can't expect TOO many miracles n'est pas???

No comments: