6/26/16

6/26/16
Achilles Run, "Stay thirsty my friend."

Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Homestretch

just 5 measely weeks until (theme from Jaws) The Big One! FINALLY got my long run in. Props to peer pressure.

Woke up, got outta bed, no need for a comb, headed out pre dawn. Got a killer spot, then prerace nap. Only half a block from the start. OK, so far so good.

The Plan: Do 2 loops of the park (1/2 marathon). IF I'm feelin' it, do the entire run-18 miles, hence, 3 loops.

Now, what the FUCK would posess a "normal" semi-rational human to do not one, not two, but three f-ing loops of the park? "The Long Run," that's what. The way I figure, 18 miles in Central Park=a marathon. Think of it, with all the g-damned hills etc...this is a marathon. Would it have been easier to do Totten as a long run? Yes, but, lacks the challenge of Central Park. How long ago was it that I couldn't run a complete loop???

So, ok. Race "Training Run, Marathon Tune-Up" starts. Thousands of friggin' people. Misting, not raining. HUMID as hell. Wow. REALLY bad, i.e. Quebec. Que paso con la temperatura de la semana pasada????? Jeez. EVERYONE commented that they were soaked, not from the misty rain either.

Ok, did the first loop, felt ok. Knew the NYRR had power Gels awaiting @ miles 9 n' 15, but packed my own. Popped one @ 4, another @ 8. At this point, committed to the half. Saw all the usual suspects: Chinese Guy w/the music n' the bells, Warren from Massapequa, Big Bird.....AND one of the CP Quebec peeps, cool-of course he ran right by me (but I passed him @ 12), and Marine Corps Sarge-dunno if he really is/was, but he sure acts like it, and he never fails to motivate. REALLY glad I wore The Colors. Wasn't gonna, was anxious re: didn't wanna make The Peeps look bad with a shit performance, but 1)I did ok, 2)while in the corral, to my right was a woman who just moved into the AP apartments. She was asking about running there............Told her to bop in Thurs for the meeting and Google our site. Also, wearing the colors was a motivator-hard to be a wuss while NOT in stealth mode.

So far, so good, no walking. Wow. 2 loops of the park, n' still going strong. What the____ may as well finish this mother. Felt pretty good, made small talk/wiseass cracks with the other runners (esp one to my right-we concurred, @ mile 17/18 we're just getting warmed up). ALMOST did a 4th loop, let's make this bad boy a marathon, but no. Save something for manana.

What I don't get is this one was a Q. Some of the training runs aren't. Glad it is, with this friggin' distance, it SHOULD be, but I don't get the logic.

...and yes, ended up with MORE power gels than I came with, can't take the Rican outta the hood.

Anyway, feeling ok, manana will be the test.

The Plan: With this 18 under my belt, do at least a half every weekend 'til The Big One. Next week is Greta's-gotta do THIS one. The same weekend is the Bayshore Half, but hey, do a boring half on Long Island, or Greta's? No brainer.

***DID feel weird not having the peeps there, but, such is life. Their loss. I know some did the SNCH 5k, you gots 'ta be kidding. REALLY feel like this one is a measure of progress-REALLY didn't think I'd do 3 loops, as well as a badge of honor. The park is a bitch. The woman to my right in the corral asked which I thought was tougher: AP or Central Park. Really think CP, but The Line is amazing training.

***Arm is KILLING me. Underestimated the obvious: running tenses/releases the arm muscles. Duh. Sore as hell, possibly more so than the knees. Though I think the Endurox n' Green Tea help.

F-ing Mets lost. Ouch. Then again, this is what we do, lose. When we win, we await the other shoe dropping. We are Mets fans, hence the need for antidepressants.

Go Jets.

No comments: