6/26/16

6/26/16
Achilles Run, "Stay thirsty my friend."

Saturday, November 8, 2008

what the HELL was that???

ok. Another weekend, another chance to try stuff out, i.e. race.

Lots of options today, actually had the brochures for 3 races on the passenger seat, but first, do The Line. Each race was only a 5k, so hadda get them there miles, mon.

Did St.Francis, felt good. Ran into the group on my way out, saw Dave, the man's a friggin' miracle. I've been blessed to know 3 such people in my life, including myself, the others: Steve and Tom. Dave actually was taken by the Prez of The Wearers of the Green givin' him props on his Marathon time. Amazing. a)a true gentleman, b) a truly humble person.

So, felt good, now, decisions, decisions. What to do, what to do. Decided on Eisenhower. A weird ass race-who the fuck starts a race @ 11 am, but that says something for the organizers. Also, the LIRRC peeps were scoring it, AND as it was their turf, chances were excellent I'd know it and do well. OK, sold. Off we went.

Got there late for me-1 1/2 hours before the run. Asked the organizers whose idea it was to do it @ 11, they looked @ each other. Not runners, but kind people. Spoke with Bob Patterson, he said they had 22 preregged. Hmmmmm, sounds like this one'll reach the epic numbers of our Back Alley. He's doing the Autism run manana, as THIS race was also for autism, I couldn't resist calling it Autism Weekend.

Total 29 people in all, nice run-glad I did St.Francis before. Placed 9th overall, first in my age group. VERY cool, twenty years from now no one'll ask either how many runners there were in all-or how many in my age group (2). So, what did I win? A trophy? Medal? Ribbon? Neither, a $25 American Express gift card (from which $3.95 is deducted @ first use). OK, I recouped my investment-also goody bags. Odd, no trophies or bagels. But, a fun run, can't QUITE call it a race, believe me, all the racers were @ the Veterans Day 4k in Northport-as I usually am. But, really sick opf the same old shit year after........this one was fun. GLAD I wore the colors, Fred and the LIRRC peeps gave loudspeaker props, and two runners asked "aren't you that guy we see @ the park." P.R. at work n'est pas.

Should'a rested, but that's not in my vocab.

THEN the skies again opened up. Conditions for the race were near perfect-a bit too warm, but tourists wore coats, what does that tell you, 57 degs. Got home, raked the leaves (HATE that, but G forbid someone slips), then BOOM, rain rain rain.

So...would I have preferred a trophy or medal? Yes. You know I'm a medal whore. But, I got way more than I expected (nothing, never disappointed that way). Funny part, I think they expected better numbers. There was no raffle, and they had a bunch of gift cards left, so they announced "if you want one come on up." Kinda cheapened my award, but, everyone went home happy.

...I thought love was only true in fairy tales...it seemed the more I gave the less I got........then I saw her FACE!!!!!!

No comments: