6/26/16

6/26/16
Achilles Run, "Stay thirsty my friend."

Sunday, November 2, 2008

please allow me to introduce myself

SOMETHING about the boogie down Bronx that does it. Last year, "Let's Go Crazy" was playing when we came off the bridge, this year "Sympathy for the Devil." Amazing. But don't let's get ahead of ourselves.

Got my am wake-up call from Tom. Actually, my Murphy's Law call. It was 4 am, Tom called wondering where everyone was. Turns out SOMEONE forgot to turn their clocks back.

Got to Runner's Edge, onto the bus, away we go. To the fort, 6:30, then chillax, wait, eat, wait some more. Of course, become best friends with the guy to my right. A Delaware cop, sold him on the idea of doing the Manhattan Run. @ this point Tom found me-we'd l,ost each other as soon as we went grazing (2 POWER BARS, 3 BAGELS, 2 CUPS OF COFFEE). OK, so far so good. Hang, TRY to stay warm. It was FUCKING COLD. Ok, we're ready, garbage bags, blankets (thank you taxpayers), STILL cold feet-above the waist, no prob. Tom went off in wave 2, I waited for 3. Not a prob, we were called to the corrals, away we went-faster than last year.

Not bad, upper level of the Verrezano-a first for me, always had been on the bottom (hee hee, go ahead, go there). Before we knew it, my fave borough for this run. God bless Brooklyn.

Made it to the halfway point knowing my peeps were @ mile 14+. Got to them, G forgets my package. THAT was funny. So into the excitement, completely slipped the mind. Apologized profusely (never mind that it was thoughtful to ask if I wanted anything stashed for me-very kind), no biggie, ended up handing it to me like a QB handing off to a RB. Also, saw Deb-noticed me n' gave a shout out-thanks!!!, as well as the College Point peeps-Carmen urging me to re-up my potassium with a banana (a constant source of amusement for me-hello, banana peels???)

Lo n' behold, my heart is there!!! Didn't know, complete surprise!!! Wrong side of the street, but no matter. Uber cool. Way to go G!!!

Before too long, there it is, the 59th. street bridge. NICE. From then on in, it's a skate.

So...how'd it go? Well, I used those pocket shorts my heart had given me, worked perfectly. Had 3 powergels in 'em, then re-upped on the course. Worked like a charm. The AP singlet worked VERY well, but of course, I threw off the raisin suit too early and was forced to pickup a discarded shirt along the way. It's like my yearly thing. THAT kept me ok. Did Gatorade Endurance @ every stop until 23 (if you need fluids with 3 miles left, you fucked up big). Wore gloves for the first half, like I said it was FUCKING COLD, until you got a head of steam. GREAT running weather, shitty hangin' weather.

Also, unfortunately, they herded us out like last year, total bullshit. But, hey, c'est la vie. What WAS uber annoying was the crowds that kept spilling onto the course. They really gotta hold 'em back. This was the first year it became a problem. Snd yes, my arm is killing me. Kept forgetting to hang on the left side of the course-how can you NOT low five a munchkin?

My best NY time yet. Nice. And to think I almost bailed. Was pretty low there for a period, Shebitch-despite my best efforts, affecting me-something about her usual psychosis + no heat that pained me to the core. But no, couldn't quit. Never do.

...made damn sure that Pilate...............

No comments: