6/26/16

6/26/16
Achilles Run, "Stay thirsty my friend."

Sunday, August 31, 2008

WOWWWWWWW!!!!!

ok, THIS was the running day to end all running days.

Woke up, got outta bed, no hair to drag a comb across my head, so off to the Manhattan Run. Was supposed to meet Tom @ the Parkhouse @ 4:30, by 4:35, wasn't there, I boogied. We hooked up via phone, hook up @ the start.

Saw Rob, Debbie, Darlene (didn't know she'd be there) and Tom. NICE Strider showing. Of course nearly everyone finished WAY ahead of me, but it wasn't a race-repeat after me-but a training run/a.k.a. "The Best Way to Start Your Day." Felt good, a week after a marathon, 14.2 is manageable. Saw Dentist Big Bird as well. Helen popped up on her bike @ mile 10. Nice job all around. Happy with my time. Again, I say this often, props to Curtis. A true gentleman. People should do this run, make it a priority.

Then, met a peep, hung out for a few hours, off to the Nike Human 10k.

WOW!!! Hell of a run, but don't let's get ahead of ourselves. Having worked on Ward's Island/breaking my Civil Service Cherry there, noted quite a change. They're making the place a wildlife sanctuary (bit of a redundancy as there's a homeless shelter there, but don't be as cynical as I). The run actually started late, a first (in my time) for the NYRR. They were (appropriately) waiting for ferries to unload with more runners. Was supposed to start @ 6, more like 6:20, but they kept us entertained. Nate Robinson from the Knicks was there (high fived him twice, once @ the start, once @ the end. Noteable because he actually hung around-cool. Short guy, about an inch shorter than me). And the runner who carried the flag @ the Olympics. Nice.

Run started, 2 loops, 5k each. Too many walkers in front-downside of no corrals. The Naked Cowboy was there entertaining us @ 2 1/2m mark. Even He hung around 'til the end. Cool.

Then, the concert. WOW. Great band, a sea of runners, all cloned/wearing the same shirts. Nice. Missed Tom @ the concert, but with 10,000 +, easy to miss anyone.

Nike really deserves props. They could take their profits n' boogie, but no. Put on one HELL of a run. (and, I finished in under an hour-not bad after this morning).

What a freakin' day.

No comments: