6/26/16

6/26/16
Achilles Run, "Stay thirsty my friend."

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Marathon!!!

ok, Marge doing the 5k, Helen and Gillian the 10k, Rob n`Debbie the half, me the full. Rain predicted-originally 80%, then pushed back to the evening, ok. Figured, if it rained, I`d do the half. So much for that idea. Gillian said I was waffling, so I`m screwed-ran or not, do the full.

We awaken, leave the Hotel @ 6am to head to the ferries. Get to the start and wait. Warm morning, gonna be HOT, but no rain. I THINK this is good-we`ll see later. Rob heads to his bus I to mine.

The time passes quickly, before too long, we`re off. Each of the 4 races started@ the same time with cannon blasts. @ this point, I still wished I`d done the half-but can`t be a wuss. Running was tough, very tough. Hot as HELL. But, hey, suck it up and MOVE MOTHERFUCKER!!! So, I did. Not bad, made good time, surprisingly The peeps asked what I`d predicted to meet @ the finish. I anticipated 4:45 to 5 hours. Weird seeing splits marked off in kms good though as there weren`t clocks at all splits-just the biggies. Saw the clock @ the half, couldn`t avoid it: 2:06-too fast. But felt ok. Before to long the heat REALLY kicked in. By the end, I was doing 30 seconds walking, 45 seconds running. REALLY dying in the heat-like Marine Corps when the bluepeoplewhoshouldjustquitandjoinaREALclub were there also. EVERYONE was dying in the heat. But...alas....the finish. NICE. REALLY nice medal. REALLY worked the crowd @ the end-pumping my arms etc.....rock star for 30 seconds.

Arm in PAIN. Dumbass that I am, used it to low five the spectators. @ the finish I went to First Aid, they put it in a sling and fed me Tylenol with Codeine. YUMMMMMMM. Back to the hotel, message from my heart-was with me every step, and I mean every step. FINALLY put the chain on after the skin prob-hadda. Called the green peeps to see where we`d connect, left my room, who do I see @ the front desk-the green peeps! We`ll hook up for dinner @ 6:45.

All in all, a good showing for the club:

Gillian: 1:06:32, in the 10k.
Helen: 1:12:32 in the 10k.
Debbie: 2:17:31 in the half.
Rob: 1:38:26 in the half.
Me: 4:33:18
*dunno Marge`s last name, couldn`t find her 5k results.
***and remind me to scalp Rob, telling me the first 5m was downhill, MY ASS!!! Rolling hills and a Heartbreak Hill Ouch! DEF a tough course. Gotta remember: use it as training for next week`s all day run-Manhattan Run in the am, Nike Human Race in the pm.

Later peeps!

No comments: