6/26/16

6/26/16
Achilles Run, "Stay thirsty my friend."

Thursday, February 9, 2012

day 928

:) !!!!!

Had the Empire State Building Run Up yesterday. REALLY glad I did it, though "one and done" sums it up.

Got a room @ the Vanderbilt Y to make my life easier, it was either that or head home late, get up exhausted.....Worked all day, then headed to nyc. Checked in, went to the AMC 25 (runner check in wasn't 'til 7pm), caught a flick, then headed over.

WHAT a crowd scene!!!!! Stands to reason. About 1,200 people, run started @ 8, everyone going off in 5 to 10 second intervals.

(now, remember: $100 for the joy of destroying your knees)

There was palpable excitement in the air.

Was standing next to Wittenberg pre-race, listening to her chat with runners, main advice: "use your arms." As in: pull yourself up with the handrails.

So, headed out. MY number (996) went off bet 9-9:15. The building hadda be cleared by 10. Good motivation.

I DIDN'T totally suck. Headed to the start, I was heartened by the building itself, harkening back to my mother taking us there, as well as several other sights. God bless her, hope she was proud.

EVERYONE cautions you against shooting your load. They were right. No matter how careful you are, you go out hot. Stupid error. After 20-25 flights, I was dead. Trudged up the stairs using my arms to pull myself up the handrails. One obnoxious prick yelled "move" as I asked "which way," as in "which side do you want me to move to?" Asshole. But, he was the only one. Actually passed 4-5 people.

Got to the top, didn't even look out. The scene WAS gorgeous, from what I COULD see it was snowing (heavily @ that altitude)and the view must'a been breathtaking. BUT, not as breathtaking as the run and the desire to get the HELL out.

Came in 7 minutes faster than I'd predicted.

Really gotta hand it to the logistics peeps, VERY well managed. AND, the staff @ the Empire State Building couldn't have been cooler.

Got mky medal, my cool shirt.

But alas, one and done. Got that outta my system. But it IS something all should do.

Then back to my room, slept VERY well (although DID havta get up 3x to pee). Checked out @ 5:45, STILL made it to the job early.

And yes, Pedrito was on my mind the entire time.

No comments: