6/26/16

6/26/16
Achilles Run, "Stay thirsty my friend."

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

one week to go

until the big five-oh. Actually looking forward to it. Why? Looking back, I'm amazed at the lifteimes I've had:

1)Kid: the best, no responsibilities, all fun, biggest prob was not getting caught. Surrounded by love-Mamine, Parain Fidele, Pedrito, Maman. Great schools, great friends-some of which I'm still in touch with.

2)High School: when the shit hit the fan, acting out x 100. When the substance abuse kicked in. Also, when I seemed to have the MOST fun-really sowed lots of wild oats. Amazed I'm still alive. Birth of recalcitrance, death of boarding school.

3)College/Grad School: when things got ugly. Substance abuse really IS a one way ticket. How'd I survive? Dumb luck.

4)Grad School/Seminarian: still under the misconception that if I gave my life to God, He'd keep me outta hell. Thank G I discovered G don't make deals.

5)Post rehab: like another puberty. Hadda learn to live all over again. Thank G the Dean in grad school gave me the ultimatum.

6)Birth of Gerry, death of Gerard. a.k.a. life after Seminary. Here life really began. No substances, no walls, no FAT-210 pounds later things got really different. Thank G gave up on that Priest/celibacy thing, sex is just too damned much fun.

7)Teacher: LOVED it, hated the shit $$$. How wonderful is it that my kids tracked me down via Facebook? Really made an impression. Nice.

8)Counselor: The whole "you have leadership potential" bullshit I'd heard all my life really kicked in here. It was shaped/modeled during the teaching years, here it blossomed. Also, the ability to act-i.e. how someone with little or no knowledge of Spanish can be a bilingual counselor. I WAS very good.

9)Husband: did my best to do all I could and be totally honest, only to have it all blow up in my face when Shebitch went postal. Good to know I did my best. All I can do.

10)Father: Keith knows I'm there. I do my damndest to put him right and let him know I'm always around-despite Shebitch's rants.

11)Runner: with another year of wedded shit came another inch on the waistline, so...what to do...my main work peep told me about the wonder of running. Never looked back. Totally changed my life in ways religion never could. Truly taught my spirituality, how to push my envelope, and enables me-daily-to tolerate Shebitch. Enabled me to develop relationships I never thought I'd have-real friendships. Like yet another puberty. Really matured here. Thanks Steve. You're with me daily. 2 dozen + marathons later......

12)Administrator: finally, the big time. Do my damndest NOT to be a suit or an Ivory Tower type, though that's my gig. Love it, would have it no other way. The gig I always had within me and always knew I'd be good at ("great leadership potential" finally finds its home). Can you imagine being given the free reign (thank G my boss knows I can't be controlled) to run a place as you think it should be run? What a wonderful job!

Lots of living there. Not bad.

No comments: