6/26/16

6/26/16
Achilles Run, "Stay thirsty my friend."

Friday, July 25, 2008

the thing of it is......

why do we who do the voodoo that we do get "it," while so many others chase their tails, looking for something to fill the void? No matter, thank G we got it.

Did St.Francis, really should'a taken the day off but first day in, seemingly, ages where it wasn't stupid humid nor raining. REALLY felt ok, took it real easy.

Went off to wontyoutakemeto Niketown to get my # for Sunday. Was a lil early, 15 minutes-by my standards that's late. Hooked up with some tourists, showed 'em where the event was. Unusual. Generally when tourists ask directions I lead 'em the wrong way just for spite-dunno why, just do. But not a runner.

Nice shirts, though they stole our motif-grey. Gotta love grey. AND, the BEST part: I'M NOT LAST!!! When they indicated seeded corrals, figured I'd get bibbed. THEN, when I saw my number was 7,7--- I got more nervous. But, bless the NYRR, they went by average-I'm exactly where I should be. Thanks G.

Picked up some crap I absolutely don't need but hadda have, i.e. a cowbell-gotta have more.

Races like this call to mind runs/ners past. I.E. the peeps we used to do races like this with. Some stick with it, become usual suspects. Others are m.i.a. Pity. Runs like this note the passing of time concretely, with memories of major accomplishments. Much better than some bullshit New Years Eve party-though the New Years run is an entirely dif story-equally cool. Nice too to see "the usual suspects," i.e. "Mohawk guy," the guy who sets up @ expos to sell his custom frames. He never forgot our first contact: Philly Marathon in '03 when I had the mohawk cut. Guys like Corey from Nike, great memories of meeting up with the peeps in Central Park for the Boathouse training run-first time I kept pace with Chris-for a meter or so/trying to win Lisa a spot, the Heartland Brewery training run-the rain DID eventually stop, doing the last couple'a miles with Debbie........ahhhh memories. Just gots'ta make new ones eh?

REALLY wish residents of Toxichouse would be there to cheer-lots of cool places, including a "sing along" @ 44th street, but such is life.

Now, chill n' look forward to Sunday. Gonna havta sit on my hands, and feet!!!

No comments: