6/26/16

6/26/16
Achilles Run, "Stay thirsty my friend."

Saturday, May 9, 2009

good, not great, but good

had the 5k in King's Park esta manana. Yesterday was deliberating which to do. Thanks to our fantastic website, I had LOTS of choices. Really needed a race, as opposed to my Line. So, was split between the Greenbelt mudfest and this 5k in King's Park. Left the house, headed to Northport. Kings Park it was. Pouring, driving rain, news said it'd stop, we'll see. One of those days where you don't mind paying $5 more to have the escape clause of "hey, I didn't lose anything," should I turn around. There was always spinning @ the Y.

Fortunately, by 7 am it was misty, by 8 stopped, so, Kings Park it was. Nice. Very nice. No pressure, no one I knew there, didn't wear the colors-or so I thought. Got a call from Tom, he was doing the Greenbelt, and people think I'm nuts. He said lots of people, all similarly nuts.

This one was like a mini Cow Harbor, 1.6 miles of it WAS the CH course.

Did ok, good, not great. Didn't walk any of it, if it were a 10k I would've, but after doing a half last week, a 5k isn't so bad. Wait til manana-the Mauler IS a bastard. But THAT one you're glad to finish, let alone have a great time. Also, nice give-a-ways. No t-shirts, but those organic bags you see @ the supermarket. Nice touch.

Back to "no one there I knew." There's alot to be said for being pure of heart. Terry Bisogno was there, gave each other a wassup, he announced my name @ the finish, followed by "President of the Alley Pond Striders, who have a GREAT 5m race, you really should try to make it." Bless him. A while after, while waiting for the raffles, brought him a bottle of water, again "I just got a bottle of water from the President of the Alley Pond Striders who have a great 5m race @ the end of April....." Good thing I did this race, generate some buzz.

Funny doing this one for several reasons. THIS is the area in which I cut my teeth re: opening my heart/soul to a friend: Steve. A real bromance. This is the area I used to hang in every weekend golfing with him and his son, then doing the Veterans Day 4k. Really took me back. Good to be here. Now Steve's dead and I'm chronologically as well as mentally an adult. Still wiping away a tear @ the wonderful memories life has brought.

Miss you Steve, think of you daily.

(THIS was the guy who wrote "congratulations" on the funeral card the staff signed when my mother died. He knew I'd bust a gut. I did.)

No comments: