6/26/16

6/26/16
Achilles Run, "Stay thirsty my friend."

Monday, May 25, 2009

5/24/09 Race day

This am they had fruit and danish (danish???) for the runners. Filled up on bananas-3of 'em. Temps? Warm. Somewhere 'round 65. Here we go!!!

No rain, yet. Temps do-able. Singlet n' shorts-no jacket.

Shuttle left the hotel every 10 mins, really good. Got to the start 2.1 miles away in 5 mins. ALMOST could'a walked it, but hey, save it for the course.

Where's the start? Right back to Quebec flashback central. WOW. The boardwalk where we all went for our walk, pic @ the swing, lighthouse in Lake Champlain...Also, just happens to be the finish area. Way to go G!!! Miss Pret and my peeps, they're with me-sure I'll ket karpal tunnel from texting.

One MAJOR note: NO water @ the start area. Wassup wit' 'dat? Here @ the home of "Vermont Pure???"

Got to the start not too early, not too late. 45 mins prior to the gun. Light rain, a spritz. Hung out, port-o-sanned etc...then...we're off! Hills for first 10 miles, then a stretch, then a BIG hill @ 18, then rolling hills, then downhill, then flat (boardwalk). After mile 3, the sun came out. You can imagine the sound of 3,000 + runners' soaked running shoes. Powergel (Carboom) @ miles 11 n' 18. Didn't need my fuelbelt-worn bandolero style so as to not mess up my precious bib-actually more comfortable than around the waist.

LOTS of recognition wearing the AP Singlet. Gave me what I needed-that and asking for cigarettes @ every water stop-that one never gets old. Something about too many earrings/tatoos that also drew alot of attention. One runner asked if I knew Rob Pasqual. Amazing, you CANNOT hide.

I was taken by the amount of spectators. Not NY, but a great, enthusiastic bunch. Also, Alley Pond REALLY preps you for a course like this one.

I'd been warned about the "assault on the battery," big long hill @ 18. Again, AP prepped me well, i.e. don't shoot your load too soon. Some XC parts on the course, but basically hilly/rolling hills. Only prob was @ the end-if one more motherfucker inaccurately said "half a mile to go," I would'a killed.

Passed the 1/2 way mark @ around 2:15. This was VERY imp't. This whole run was an exercise in getting back on the horse, i.e. after bailing on the LI full and doing the half, was I going to be a pussy again. Would'a been easy-perfect excuse: rain @ the start. But no, man up. REALLY glad I did.

Reconnected with Tom, food after SUCKED-half a bagel, nutrigrain bars, crap, total crap, but hey, what a GREAT course! NY was tougher-but you didn't realize it due to the crowds, but this was def # 2.

Texted Pret, was there with me every step. Lifew IS good.

No comments: