6/26/16

6/26/16
Achilles Run, "Stay thirsty my friend."

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

the week that was

we're baaaaaack!

What a time THAT was! Did the National Marathon, quite an experience.

Expected warm temps, it was cold as ____@ the start, about 34 degs, the day prior was 50! Shorts and long top. No nipple tape/guards/bodyglide-had an underarmour TYPE shirt, worked perfectly-no chafing/no blood/no shi_. Nice. Forgot ONE crucial item: gloves. Left 'em @ the hotel. DAMN. Well, THAT was actually mistake #2. First was a crucial miscalc, marathon wasn't Sunday but Saturday. Ouch.

Did the expo Friday, volunteered @ t-shirt pickup (sleazy way to load up on shirts, I'm set for the year). Not much of an expo, a smaller marathon so it figured. Left @ 1, went to a flick, then to see the Nats (DC for "Nationals") in the first game @ their new stadium, an exhibition vs. the Orioles. NIIIICE stadium-the run goes by it as well. But again, we get ahead of ourselves. While @ the expo, I inquire re: details. I figured the half was Sat, the full Sun. WRONG boyo! SHI_!
This threw a monkey wrench in the plans-so much for carbo loading.

So, back to the run. GREAT logistics-water/gatorade every 3 or so miles, GU every 5, Red Bull every 3rd mile starting @ the half. @ this run they did the same as LI last year, held the half and full @ the same time, so there was a turn off/split. Hate them.

Made this into the: gloves every mile race. As in ; since I left mine behind, every mile I picked up another pair someone had discarded. Kept things fun.

Did ok, nothing great, but I finished. Good news: maintained the SAME time for the 10k & 1/2 splits-as in to within 1 second. Bad news: time STILL sucked, but sucked consistently. Didn't walk at least. Literally, maintained the same pace from start to finish. Gotta find positive reinforcement somewhere! Only real downside: shin splints. G's way of telling me to take it easy. Right.

Why do I put it that way, let's just say I again came home to disaster-Keith missed MORE school, Sybil out @ work all day-leaving him alone @ home, THEN It goes out @ night to one of It's almighty AA meetings. I should never ever go home, but I must. I have to know Keith knows I'm there for him. Garbage (literally) in the living room since before I left. Pray for us, this is bad.

Suffice to say, I did a drive by-spoke with Keith, got the lowdown, then went to spinning. Had to. You know how THAT is. Cheaper than alimony, less guilt than homicide.

Running easy, life-not so much. Thank G for my peeps, really came through for me.

No comments: